Church Council

                      Minutes of the Church Council Meeting 15th February 2022

  1. Revd Roger Smith welcomed attendees and led the opening devotions.
  • Council gave AS, a non member, permission to speak to the meeting.
  • Minutes of the last meeting were signed as correct
  • Matters arising: Our Church Anniversary will take place on 13th March 2022, led by Revd Michael Faulkner and his wife Elizabeth. The General Church Meeting will now be held on 15th May after morning worship.
  • Church Life

a          Open the Book: As reported by AS the current team for this outreach to the school feels unable to continue and so Council agreed to explore joining with the Baptist church to do so. The school is very keen for Open the Book to continue, and we are still happy to present ‘What’s the Story?’ at Christmas time. Council thanked everyone who had taken part in Open the Book over the many years it has been running.

b          Children and Family work: SP ‘s report has been received and she is encouraged that children are coming back to children’s events and plans have been made for the future (to be circulated later). Parade services have not restarted due partly to the constant pressure on schools during Covid. Unlikely that Parade Services will be resumed in their previous format due to changes in the patterns of children’s weekends, but they will be invited (by personal contact with the leaders) to services geared to children, eg Mothering Sunday, or invited to lead worship themselves in their groups. HM will follow up a request from the Beavers’ leader to look around the church and find out more about it.

c          Coronavirus: Government guidelines are constantly changing and after some discussion Council agreed that it will now be a personal choice whether and when to wear a mask.  We should still respect people’s choice in personal space as we have responsibility to our employees, volunteers and visiting preachers. KR thanked everyone who has been involved in the constant vigilance of the past two years.

d          Finance: KR explained the documents that he had sent out; last year’s accounts have been audited and were approved by Council, along with the Reserves Policy. The Gift Aid report was accepted, and it was decided not to continue with the envelope scheme due to the cost. Other avenues of giving are being explored including a card machine. Council members expressed their thanks to both KR and RN for all the finance work they do.

e          Property: The new fire doors are in place, donations have met the cost. Work is in progress clearing out the store room which is a fire hazard at the moment. SP will be able to use a lot of the craft supplies with her children’s work. The 2017 agreement with Anchor, to use our property as a fire exit path, expires in June. Council agreed to renew the licence.  A new boiler, with remote control, is now needed. Council thanked AS and PB and their team for all the maintenance and repair work they do in our premises.

f           Room bookings: Attached is PB’s outline of his responsibilities as room booking secretary, which he has carried out for 36 years and now wishes to retire from, by the end of April if not before. Supporting A’s vote of thanks, Council members were unanimous in acknowledging the huge debt of gratitude we owe PB, and discussions will start immediately on his replacement.

g          Safeguarding: Revisions to the Safeguarding policy were approved by Council, and the 2022 copy will be displayed in the church. Council was asked to note that all meetings should be aware of the theology of safeguarding, as in the Methodist Church Safeguarding website, and that an email to this effect will be circulated.

h          Reports from the Tuesday Fellowship and the World Day of Prayer were noted and accepted.

6          Circuit, District and Connexional matters

a          The Circuit Stewards’ report had been received, and was accepted

b          Circuit staffing:  It is hoped to recruit a new lay worker to work in our own three churches, along with SP. We also look forward to the arrival of the Revd Cameron Stirk, a new Minister for Otley and Pool with additional responsibility for Mission/Evangelism in the circuit.

 7         Any other business: The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations: RS and JF will find out whether the other churches in the area would like to join in a united celebration, and then report back so that something can be arranged.

8          Forthcoming meetings:

            General Church Meeting: 15th May 2022 after morning worship (please note this has been changed from the prvious week)

            Church Council: 21st June 2022. At this meeting Council will decide whether it wishes to register our church for the solemnisation of same-sex marriages.

The meeting ended with The Grace being shared together.

Attached: Booking Secretary report

AN

Church Council secretary